VISIT THE OFFICIAL NORTH SHORE NAVIGATORS BLOG
HTTP://NSNAVS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mea culpa #2

After extensively reading about the intricacies of the infield fly rule, I've learned that the umps last night were at least somewhat correct about the play that occured during the 8th inning. My bad.

The bases were loaded and Alex Trezza popped it up into left field with one out. The shortstop went back to catch the ball and he dropped it. The runners then took off and a run scored from 3rd. A runner was hung up between 2nd and 3rd, and the throw came in from short to retire that runner. At the time, it appeared the umps erred and called the same guy out twice - once when he was tagged, once when third base was tagged.

But in reality, the infield-fly rule was called which meant Trezza was out, so the man retired running to 3rd was in fact the 3rd out of the inning.

I think that what the Spirit were arguing (and I agree with this argument) is the fact that infield-fly should not have been called --- the SS had to go a long way back, in the fog, to play that ball. It was far from 'ordinary effort'.

Nonetheless, I was incorrect when I claimed the ump called the same guy out twice. My bad.

No comments: