VISIT THE OFFICIAL NORTH SHORE NAVIGATORS BLOG
HTTP://NSNAVS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Friday, August 03, 2007

Game over before it starts: Spirit crush Worcester 12-2

Gary Galvez had his most impressive outing of the season tonight, going the distance and giving up only two runs as the Spirit beat Worcester 12-2 in front of a good crowd on Doug Flutie night at Fraser Field.

The game also featured the glorious return of Carlos Rodriguez, who picked up two hits, drove in two runs, and got one of his trademark outfield assists.

Galvez had good velocity and consistency with his fastball tonight, hitting 91 at a regular basis and topping out at 94 MPH in the 4th inning. He added in a few breaking pitches at around 72-75 MPH to keep hitters off balance.

He gave up a leadoff triple in the 3rd inning to Greg Smith, who came around to score on a sacrifice fly, then was hit pretty well in the 4th but escaped a jam. The first batter, Keith Beauregard, lined one back toward Galvez, who stuck out his glove and caught the ball. The 2nd batter of the inning reached with a base hit, which was followed by another hit by Patrick Perry. Perry got greedy on the play, however, and was gunned out running to 2nd base by Carlos Rodriguez.

From that point on, Galvez was almost untouchable, save for a 2nd Worcester run scored on an E5 in the 6th.

Galvez's counterpart, Mike "Don't call me mee-ger, don't spell it Ma-Ha" Meagher, did not have the same success - he was hung out to dry by Rich Gedman, iving up 10 runs on 7 hits and 6 walks in 3 1/3 innings.

The Spirit offense ripped it open early on, batting around in the first inning. In Carlos Rodriguez's first at-bat back with the Spirit, he ripped an RBI double. Josue Lopez and Luis Lopez also had RBIs in the first as the Spirit jumped out to a 4-0 lead.

After Carlos Rodriguez, Alan Mottram, and Alex Trezza added RBI hits in the 4th, Jerson Perez absolutely nailed it down with a 3 run homer to right which made it 10-1.

North Shore added two more in the 8th to make it 12-2, which would be the final score.

*

I, for one, think it's great to have C-Rod back --- for all his faults (such as his .212 average and his off the field 'issues') the guy is a beast with a cannon arm and great power. We badly needed another power threat in the lineup in the absence of Vic Davilla. The lack of power is a great flaw on the '07 Spirit - as evidenced by the fact that Blakely is still 2nd on the team in homers.

Welcome back, C-Rod.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe, What was the Flutie Night like? I assume he was signing autographs, I heard from Cassie's dad, that supposedly at 4pm there was 700 people waiting in line for Doug's Autograph. Did Doug do anything on the field? Band play any music? And how good was the crowd tonight? I wish I was there tonight, but will get my bobbleheads, had Brent save me one.

Jack

PS-Will be back there tomorrrow

Wooden U. Lykteneau said...

Jack/Joe - Appreciate all the hard work you do on this site. The recaps enable me to see the game from the diehard's perspective, and Jack, since I can't always listen in, posting tidbits from what John drops on the radio is more than welcome. (John, I sincerely appreciate how you read off the scorebook when I join in late).

It also looks like this team is starting to jell, looking like the old teams, with Jerson flashing Yuri's D with Rowan's O; Josue hitting like Brooks, fielding like Travis, and eating like Bag O' Donuts; B.J. Weed catching flies like Weir and stealing bases like Marcos...

Anonymous said...

RADIO UPDATE

To all our faithful Spirit bloggera as well as any other interested parties:

The Spirit- Worcester game on Sunday will air LIVE on northshorespirit.com at 1 PM and then on tape delay at approximately 6 PM ( after the NASCAR race) on 1510 the Zone.

If you miss the live broadcast and want to hear the tape delayed broadcast on the radio (and don't want to know the score), I suggest that you not surf to the Can-Am league site, as they'll post it right after the game ends. We will not be posting our recap on our site until after the radio tape delayed broadcast ends.

Wooden, thanks for the compliment, and thanks for listening.

DaveCo said...

I also want to thank Jack and Joe for contriubting so much to this site. Those two alone have given me more information then most Spirit staff and the site. I wish I could contribute more myself,but Joe & Jack alone supply a llot of info.

Wooden......those comparisons made me think vividly of the old teams we had. And I must say,even though we always joke about some of these guys, I do miss some of them.

Thanks Mr Leahy....I'm sure some of the fans apreciate that little bit of info. Keep up the good work on the radio broadcasts. =]


PS: I won't be making it to the game tonight. So I'll see you guys tomorrow. =[

Anonymous said...

I believe it's "Rock & Fire", but we'll need a clarification from on high.

DaveCo said...

Naw,I remember it being confirmed it is indeed "Rocketfire"

I also remember it being flashed across the Nashua scoreboard one day. XD