That's right - just 14 days until the Spirit take the field in exhibition play against the Rox. Nice.
To celebrate, let's talk about game day experience at Fraser Field. What simple, reasonable things can the Spirit do to improve the overall experience, atmosphere, etc. at Fraser Field and surrounding the North Shore Spirit in general? Make your suggestions in a comment.
Here are my simple ideas:
1. Out of town scores from the Can-Am League given over the PA. I have never been able to understand why this isn't done; perhaps it has something to do with Nick not wanting the boys to know the results of other games, I don't know - but either way, every other park does it, and it just simply makes sense to do. It is really convenient for the fans who want to know such information, and it helps foster an attitude that the league's results matter - the players aren't just there to provide a backdrop for Monkey Boy.
2. Free stat sheets given out without having to buy a new program. Every year I buy (or weasel my way into acquiring for free) numerous copies of the same old program because I want to get stats on the opposing team but I forgot to print them out at home. I understand that they do this for a reason, to milk the extra $2 each time someone wants to get the stat sheets, but I think it would be a good gesture to give these out to fans upon entry. Either that, or update the program with an extended insert for every homestand, to make it so that you're getting more than two pages of statistics each time you spend money to buy the same old program.
3. Better announcements over the PA of the situation during rain delays - for example, current forecast information, relevant league rules/policies, etc. It seems like we are generally just sitting around waiting for one of two announcements: 1) the game is called or, 2) we will play in fifteen minutes.
4. It would be really nice if they could put together some sort of weekly highlight package on the Spirit website whenever games are broadcast on Lynncam. Also, get a better announcer on Lynncam, for the love of God and all things holy.
5. Mix up the between innings entertainment. Regulars have seen the same 4 acts 200 times. I propose a sumo wrestling match between Willy and Jack but I don't think that's happening any time soon, unfortunately.
6. EVERY night - or at least every weeknight - should be buy one bleacher seat, get one half-price night --- getting people in the ballpark is always the key, and they have really gotten pretty silly with the ticket price increases. They're not prohibitive by any means, just... odd.